The refreshing air and picturesque landscapes of a hill station serve as the best potion for stress and monotony. However, most of the hill stations in India also have religious and historical significance.
The best part is that the third highest peak in the world, the Kanchenjunga is located in India. If that sounds interesting, read on to know the ten best hill stations in India that you can explore.
Shimla – Himachal Pradesh
Shimla is one of the most romantic hill stations in India, making it an all-time favorite honeymoon destination. Once there, you can walk across the popular scenic stretches of the Camel’s Back road, or try exploring the caves and hot springs in Tattapani.
If you like adventure then you can try trekking in Kufri which is also one of the most admired skiing spots in Shimla.
- Tourist Attractions – Kufri, Lakkar Bazaar, Ridge, Camel’s Back Road, Tattapani
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Skiing, Shopping, Photography
The foggy lush green hills and the frequent gentle drizzles only make Lonavala more romantic. Close to Pune, this is one of the best tourist places in India. Once there, you can pump up your adrenaline by camping near Pawna Lake, exploring Bhaja caves, or parasailing in Kamshet.
- Places of interest – Lonavala Lake, Bhushi Dam, Kune Falls, Lohagad Fort, Pawna Lake, Kalra Caves, Bhaja Caves, Kamshet
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Parasailing, Trekking, Hiking, Camping
Surrounded amidst the Blue Hills, Ooty is a fantastic hill station that lies on the borders of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. You can take a walk through the lush green Botanical Garden, or delve in the beauty of the colorful roses in the Rose Garden.
However, the best thing to do here is to take a boat ride in the Ooty lake with some fresh red carrots. All of this is sure to convince you that this is one of the best tourist places in India.
- Places of interest – Ooty Lake, Botanical Garden, Rose Garden, Pykara Lake, Emerald Lake, Upper Bhavani Lake
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Waterfalls, Nature
Darjeeling is one of the most incredible hill stations in India. One can witness the mighty Kanchenjunga from here. However, you need to go there during the right weather, because during monsoon one rarely gets to see the sun from this hill station wrapped in thick fog.
Another popular activity is to take a ride across the Batasia Loop in the toy train. While doing that, you get to see some breathtaking views of the beauty of nature that’s generously splashed around this place. All of that sure makes it one of the best tourist places to visit in India. For those seeking inner peace, there are several monasteries here.
- Places of interest – Tiger Hills, Batasia Loop, Ghoom Monastery, Japanese Pagoda, Darjeeling Ropeway, Rock Garden, Ganga Maya Park
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Horse riding, Cable car Ropeway ride,
On the border of the states of Gujarat and Rajasthan, lies Mount Abu, one of the most beautiful hill stations in India. If you tour the deserts of Rajasthan, you’d probably know why the Royals of Rajasthan vacationed in Mount Abu.
To camp overnight in this lush green rocky region, and to rise early and rock climb or trek to the imposing Guru Shikhar is any Adventurer’s dream come true.
- Places of interest – Mount Abu, Guru Shikhar, Nakki Lake, Toad Rock, Achalgarh Fort, Dilwara Jain Temples
- Things to do – Hiking, Trekking, Camping, Exploring
The enchanting hills and the serene Lakes in Gangtok make it one of the most relaxing and refreshing places to visit in India. One of the fastest developing hill stations in India, Gangtok is a Trekker’s paradise.
Some of the interesting places to Trek include the Hanuman Tok, Tashi Point and the Nathu-La Pass that stretches across the Indo-Chinese border.
- Places of interest – Ganesh Tok, Hanuman Tok, Tashi Point, Nathu-La Pass, Rumtek Monastery, Enchey Monastery, Tsomgo Lake, Ban Jhakri Falls
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Skiing, Rafting, Canoeing
Famous for Kallari Pattu and tea estates, Munnar also has several other interesting things to boast about. Besides being one of the most beautiful hill stations in India, the land of Munnar also shelters the Nilgiri Tahr, one of the nearly extinct species.
Also, you can catch a glimpse of the Tahr at the Eravikulam National Park. Not to mention that with several scenic viewpoints like Echo Point, Top Station and Photo Point here, photography is irresistible.
- Places of interest – Devikulam, Rajmala, Eravikulam National Park, Floriculture Center, Anamudi Peak, Echo Point, Top Station, Photo Point, Lakkam Waterfalls, Kollengode Palace, Panarjani village, Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary
- Things to do – Trekking, Hiking, Elephant ride, Wildlife, Martial Arts, Culture and Heritage, Places of Historic interest
The unmatched beauty of the lakes, rivers, and gardens make Srinagar one of the most beautiful hill stations in India. A can’t miss activity out there is to hop into one of the rustic wooden boathouses. From the boathouse, you can revel in the beauty of the floating gardens at the Dal Lake.
Don’t forget to pay your obeisance to the Shiva Temple on the Shankaracharya Hill. Another interesting religious spot is the Hazratbal Mosque that has the hair of the Prophet, making it one of the most beautiful hill stations in India.
- Places of interest – Siva Temple on Shankaracharya Hill, Hazratbal Mosque, Dal Lake, Wular Lake, Manasbal Lake, Nagin Lake, Mughal gardens, Apple orchards, Gulmarg, Pahalgam
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Boating, Photography
This is one of the best tourist places in India for trekking, parasailing, rafting and much more. The best time to visit Manali is from September to mid-December as the climate is favorable.
Manali has several exciting trekking and skiing spots like the Solang Valley and the Rohtang Pass. For those who like canoeing or rafting, there is no dearth of water sports in this region, thanks to the Beas River.
- Places of interest – Solang Valley, Beas River, Rohtang Pass, Jogini Waterfalls, Hadimba Temple
- Things to do – Yak rides, Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Rafting, Canoeing, Parasailing, Skiing, Adventure Sports
Popular for Table Land, the second lengthiest plateau in the whole of Asia, Panchgani is frequented by tourists since ages. You may have already seen Panchgani in the backdrop of a movie scene as it is one of the most popular shooting spots.
- Places of interest – Table Land, Kamalgad Fort, Kate’s Point, Sydney Point, Parsi Point, Devrai Art village
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Paragliding, Photography, Nature
As a matter of fact, the Indian tourism department is developing several other hill stations in a bid to encourage tourism. Do keep reading our posts to know more exciting and novel places to visit in India.