If you happen to work in the crowded capital of India, then the only way to relax is to take off to a calmer and quieter place. However, that’s not a problem because of the many exciting weekend getaways near Delhi. From places rich in culture and heritage to mesmerizing hill stations on the foothills of the Himalayas, this place has it all.
So, if you wish to delve into nature’s beauty, then there are several places to visit near Delhi this weekend. Some of the most recommended weekend getaways from Delhi are listed below.
This fascinating city of palaces is an amazing weekend getaway from Delhi that takes you back in time with its mesmerizing architecture. Located amid the Man Sagar Lake is the five-story Jal Mahal or the palace in water which is a sight to behold and if that doesn’t amaze you enough, then you can try visiting Jantar Mantar that houses the world’s largest sundial.
The Hawa Mahal is yet another prominent structure that’s shaped to resemble Lord Krishna’s crown. This palace is architected such that there is breeze moving through it, all through the year. You can also go on Jeep Safari in Nahargarh wildlife sanctuary, or try the hot air balloon to pump up your adrenaline.
- Distance from Delhi – 269 km
- Tourist Attractions – Man Sagar Lake, Jal Mahal, Hawa Mahal, Nahargarh wildlife sanctuary
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Jeep Safari, Places of Historic interest
The alluring city of Agra boasts of several architectural wonders, including the Taj Mahal which is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Besides that, the Fort of Agra is definitely worth a visit and makes Agra one of the best weekend getaways from Delhi.
- Distance from Delhi – 213 km
- Tourist Attractions – Taj Mahal, Tomb of Emperor Akbar, Persian garden, Tomb of Queen Noor Jahan’s parents
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Places of Historical interest
Set on the foothills of Garhwal Himalayan range, this scenic hill station is one of the most visited weekend getaways from Delhi. Blame it on the pollution in Delhi or the hectic professional lives, this fairytale-like retreat is one of the best places to visit near Delhi.
Unless you wish to watch the rain from the window, November to February may not be the best time to visit Mussoorie. However, any visit to Mussoorie is incomplete without a walk on the camel’s back road. You can also trek through Jabarkhet Wildlife Reserve or enjoy the view from Lal Tibba.
- Distance from Delhi – 280 km
- Tourist Attractions – Kempty Falls, Jharipani Falls, Camel’s back road, Lal Tibba, Jabarkhet Wildlife Reserve
- Sightseeing, Trekking, Waterfalls, Wildlife
A Bollywood movie was never complete without a scene in Nainital until Bollywood discovered Ooty. This weekend getaway from Delhi in the Kumaon region gets its name from the serene Naini lake.
The beauty of nature clearly visible from the many viewpoints such as Snow view, Naini peak, and Tiffin top is breathtaking. If that made you too laid back then you can try looking at the energetic White Tigers in the Nainital Zoo.
- Distance from Delhi – 298 km
- Tourist Attractions – Naini lake, Snow view, Naini peak, Tiffin top, Nainital Zoo
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Boating, Wildlife
Situated on the foothills of Himalayas, Dehradun is one of the most popular weekend getaways from Delhi. Once there, you definitely cannot miss the Sahastradhara, a combination of caves and springs.
Next is the roaring Tiger Falls, where the water falls from a fabulous height of 50 meters, demonstrating the power of nature. The 600-meter long cave known as Guchhupani is yet another sight to behold and completely satisfies the innate human instinct to explore, discover and re-discover.
- Distance from Delhi – 247 km
- Tourist Attractions – Sahastradhara, Tiger Falls, Guchhupani
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Horse riding, Malsi Deer Park, Rajaji National Park
If you are looking for weekend getaways near Delhi that refreshes rejuvenates and also offers spiritual growth, then you must give Hrishikesh a shot. Once there, you can pump up your adrenaline by indulging in adventure sports such as trekking, bungee jumping and rafting. All of that definitely makes it one of the best places to visit near Delhi for adventure seekers.
Rishikesh also has several holy places that you can visit, but the most popular is the Triveni Ghat, which is the Confluence of the three holy rivers Ganga, Jamuna, and Saraswathi. You can also take a look at the legendary Ram Jhula, a 3 km long suspension bridge and Lakshman Jhula, the 450-meter long suspension bridge.
- Distance from Delhi – 231 km
- Tourist Attractions – Ram Jhula, Laxman Jhula, Triveni Ghat
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Bungee jumping, Other adventure sports, Places of Historic interest
Jim Corbett National Park
This is one of the most adventurous weekend getaways from Delhi for anybody desirous of some safe adventure. If a Safari does not quench your thirst for adventure, then you can try river rafting or angling at River Kosi.
You can also camp here and enjoy a lively bonfire with your buddies. Besides that, you can also take a dip in the water or capture nature’s beauty splashed around in this region with your camera. Those who seek to gain knowledge about the flora and fauna in this region can consider the Gyan Yatra.
- Distance from Delhi – 236 km
- Tourist Attractions – River Kosi, Corbett Falls,
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Jeep Safari, Elephant Safari, Trekking, Camping, Wildlife, Photography, River Rafting, Angling
You can take a Jungle Safari and revel in the enigmatic wilderness of this region, or take a boat ride in the tranquil Bhulla Lake. This is definitely one of the calmest weekend getaways near Delhi for a worked up traveler. Other places to visit here include Tarkeshwar Mahadev Temple, the popular view from Tiffin Top, and finally the most intriguing rocks Bhim Pakora.
- Distance from Delhi – 250 km
- Tourist Attractions – Tarkeshwar Mahadev Temple, Bhulla Lake, Kalahgarh Tiger Reserve, Tiffin Top, Bhim Pakora
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Safari, Hiking, Trekking, Camping, Boating, Photography
The Indo-Mughal architecture of this city of victory makes it one of the best places to visit near Delhi. As a matter of fact, this city was built by Emperor Akbar in a bid to offer his respect to the Sufi Saint Salim Chishti.
The outstanding architecture of the Buland Darwaza comprising of red sandstone, marble and granite is a sight to behold. Loaded with places of historical interest, this city also offers a peep into the Palace of Queen Jodha, Diwan-i-Khas, Jama Masjid, and the magnificent Panch Mahal, making it one of the most historically significant weekend getaways near Delhi.
- Distance from Delhi – 223 km
- Tourist Attractions – Tomb of Sufi Saint Salim Chishti, Palace of Queen Jodha, Buland Darwaza, Diwan-i-Khas, Jama Masjid, Panch Mahal
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Places of Historical interest
This quaint little town is one of the fast developing weekend getaways near Delhi. That’s because it has quite a bit to offer to the urban weekend traveler. You can get fantastic views of some of the highest peaks of the Himalayas like Kedar Nath, Nanda Devi and much more from the Zero point. Also, you can explore the intriguing pre-historic Lakhudiyar Cave or spend time picnicking at Kalimath.
- Distance from Delhi – 361 km
- Tourist Attractions – Zero Point in Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary, Kalimath, Lakhudiyar Cave, Dwarahat Thana bazar
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Wildlife, Culture and Heritage, Shopping
To begin with, you must first know the exact amount of time you can spare traveling, consequently, based on that and the group’s cumulative interest, you can plan to take off to a particular destination. The above mentioned weekend getaways near Delhi are sure to kill the monotony of your everyday life.