Since ages, Chennai is a bustling commercial center that has only further expanded its horizon. As a matter of fact, Chennai presently boasts of several premier educational institutions and multinational corporations.
So here are some mind-blowing places to visit near Chennai after a hectic week.
Lying on the shores of the majestic Bay of Bengal, this serene town certainly attracts tourists from around the world and is one of the best places to visit near Chennai. From the mind-blowing grid-style town planning to the picturesque colonial buildings, this town showcases the splendor of the French architecture. However, its close proximity to Chennai and the lively beaches make it one of the best weekend getaways from Chennai.
- Distance from Chennai – 166 km
- Tourist Attractions – Promenade Beach, Pondicherry Beach, Chunnambar Boathouse, Pondicherry Museum, Pondicherry Botanical Garden, French War Memorial, Sri Aurobindo Ashram
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Beach hopping, Boating, Water Sports
Sri Venkateshwara National Park
Situated partly in Cudappah’s Sheshachalam hills and partly in Chittoor’s Tirumala hills, this is one of the most visited tourist places near Chennai. It has some charming waterfalls such as Talakona, Gundalakona, and Gunjana.
The most popular being Talakona for the reason that this majestic waterfall gushes down 270 feet and is the highest waterfall in the State of Andhra Pradesh and one of the best places to visit around Chennai.
You can also trek in the surrounding lush green forests and revel in the beauty of nature. If you have some extra time, then you can also try exploring the surrounding caves.
- Distance from Chennai – 142 km
- Tourist Attractions -Talakona waterfalls, Gundalakona Waterfalls, Gunjana Waterfalls, Sri Siddeshwara Temple, Forest, Caves
- Things to do -Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Exploring
Across the Bay of Bengal, several temples rest in the ancient town of Mahabalipuram and for this reason, it is one of the most visited tourist places near Chennai.
Some astounding architectural wonders located in Mahabalipuram include Pancharathas, Mahishasur Mardini Mandapam, Krishna Mandapam, and Varaha Mandapam. If the five monolith chariots at Pancharathas amazed you, then you can also consider visiting the marvelous Sculpture Museum or the Tiger caves.
If you like beach hopping and cruising, then this is one of the best places to visit near Chennai. Also, you can try the Mahabalipuram beach where you can find several restaurants, cruises and can even try some angling.
- Distance from Chennai – 57 km
- Tourist Attractions – Mahishasur Mardini Mandapa, Mahabalipuram Beach, Pancharathas, Tiger Caves, Sculpture Museum
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Beach Hopping, Cruising, Angling, places of historic interest, Exploring
Situated on the borders of the two states Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh, the mesmerizing Tada Falls is probably one of the best weekend getaways from Chennai.
These falls are divided into two portions, the top and the lower of the Tada Falls. The lower portion is easier to trek but remember to carry your eatables with you.
- Distance from Chennai – 92 km
- Tourist Attractions – Lower Tada Falls, Upper Tada Falls
- Things to do -Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Waterfalls
Nestled in the charismatic town of Vellore is the fascinating Yelagiri, a hill station that bravely stands amid four lofty mountains. This beautiful and scenic lush green region was once the property of the Yelagiri family and hence the name.
Not to mention that Yelagiri has many trekking trails out there and for a fantastic view, try the Swamimalai Hill that stands 4338 feet above the ground.
As a result, this it is one of the most popular weekend getaways from Chennai for those who like trekking and hiking. Other popular places include Velavan Temple, Puganur Lake, and Nature Park.
- Distance from Chennai – 229 km
- Tourist Attractions -Temple, Puganur Lake, Swamimalai Hills, Nature Park
- Things to do -Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Parasailing
Well-famed for the Tirumala Tirupati Balaji Temple, this town is flocked by lakhs of devotees and tourists. So if you are looking for weekend getaways from Chennai then you definitely can’t miss Tirupati. Other popular tourist spots in and around Tirupati are the Kapilatheertham waterfall and the Kalyani Dam.
- Distance from Chennai – 133 km
- Tourist Attractions -Tirumala Tirupati Temple, Kapilatheertham, Kalyani Dam
- Things to do -Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking
This exquisite town of a thousand temples is one of the best weekend getaways from Chennai lauded for its alluring Dravidian style architecture. Most of the prominent structures here were built by the Pallavas and later renovated by the rulers of the Vijayanagara dynasty.
Some popular temples include Kamakshi Amman Temple, Sri Ekambarnath Temple, Kailasanathar Temple, Vaikunta Perumal Temple, and Varadarajaswami Temple. You can even experience living like a local at Kanchi Kudil, which is a 90-year-old ancestral house turned into an inn. While at Kanchi, don’t forget to look through the popular and exquisite Kanchipuram silk saris.
- Distance from Chennai – 74 km
- Tourist Attractions – Kamakshi Amman Temple, Sri Ekambarnath Temple, Kailasanathar Temple, Vaikunta Perumal Temple, Varadarajaswami Temple, Kanchi Kudil
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Shopping, places of historical interest
This is one of the best weekend getaways from Chennai for those who love nature and adventure. However, the most ideal way to spend a weekend here would be to trek during the day, then take a dip near the Nagalapuram Falls and nap a little. Thereafter, you can consider gobbling up some spicy Andhra delicacies and camping overnight amid nature.
- Distance from Chennai – 71 km
- Tourist Attractions – Nagalapuram Waterfalls, surrounding hills
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Camping, Waterfalls
On the banks of the beautiful River Penna, rests Nellore, one of the best places to visit around Chennai. Rich with culture, this town houses several noteworthy architectural wonders. The Ranganathswamy Temple over there has the magnificent idol of The Sleeping Vishnu.
While the Mypadu beach in Nellore makes it one of the best weekend getaways from Chennai. As a matter of fact, this is one of the best getaways for beach lovers as there are several guesthouses and resorts around the Mypadu beach.
- Distance from Chennai – 176 km
- Tourist Attractions – Ranganathswamy Temple, Mypadu beach
- Things to do – Sight-Seeing, Beach Hopping
Amrithi Zoological Park
This is definitely one of the finest places to visit around Chennai for any wildlife enthusiast. Situated near the Amritha River, a part of the region is converted into a wildlife sanctuary, while the rest accommodates the tourists. So if you are looking for relaxing weekend getaways from Chennai, then this seems like the one for you.
- Distance from Chennai – 259 km
- Tourist Attractions – Amrithi Zoological Park, Amrithi Falls
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Wildlife, Safari
As a matter of fact, you may notice that most places to visit around Chennai offer a wide range of diversity. Therefore, you can pick weekend getaways from Chennai depending on your interests.
So, whether its spiritual, adventurous, art and architecture, shopping or the lively beaches, there’s definitely something in store for everyone around Chennai.