Better known as the IT capital of India, this city has some amazing options for a weekend traveler to explore. That’s primarily because this city is located in the middle of several scenic weekend getaways from Bangalore. Also, the road connectivity is great for those who plan to drive out there.
Moreover, while living in a traffic ingested metro like Bengaluru, a weekend getaway from Bangalore is no longer a choice but a necessity. Such short breaks help relax and remain calm amid the stress of ‘balancing work and life‘, which at times seems nothing more than just a phrase.
Located only 150 km away from the city of Bengaluru, this city of palaces is one of the most visited weekend getaways from Bangalore. That’s because there’s so much to do than just visiting the Mysuru palace. From temples to rivers, hills and even forests, there’s something in store for almost everyone in Mysuru.
- Distance from Bangalore – 150 km
- Tourist Attractions – Chamundeshwari Temple, Mysore Palace, Mysore Zoo, Brindavan Gardens
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Boating, Places of historic interest
This is yet another popular weekend getaway from Bangalore because of the proximity that this city shares with the state of Tamil Nadu. The mysterious blue hills and the enchanting atmosphere makes it one of the most sought-after weekend getaways from Bangalore. From lazing about in the botanical garden to trekking and hiking unexplored trails on the blue hills, there is a lot to do in Ooty.
- Distance from Bangalore – 278 km
- Tourist Attractions – Botanical Garden, Rose Garden, Doddabetta, Upper Bhawani Lake, Pykara Lake Falls, Emerald Lake, Avalanche Lake, Shooting Point
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Boating
This coffee planters’ Paradise is a great weekend getaway from Bangalore mainly because of the greenery and calmness out there. That is indeed quite relaxing from the everyday hustle bustle of life in a metro. Also, the budget for a trip to Coorg is quite flexible as there are several home-stays available.
Some of these also offer to organize trekking, rope climbing, rafting, and other sports. Even if it is a star hotel that you prefer, you still have quite a few options to choose from. Not to mention the many budget 2 star and 3 star resorts that also offer such activities. However, it is recommended that you talk to the organizer beforehand and work out a viable schedule for all these activities.
- Distance from Bangalore – 272 km (Madikeri)
- Tourist Attractions – Talacauvery, Madikeri, Kushalnagar, Nagarhole National Park
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Rafting, Kayaking
The Biligirirangana hills are situated on the borders of Karnataka and Tamilnadu, and spreads across Chamarajnagar and Kollegal districts of Karnataka and Erode district of Tamil Nadu.
To get there, you need to drive for four hours from Bangalore. However, it is recommended that you do not get too late because this place begins to get dark after 6 p.m. due to the dense forests.
Until about a decade ago, this beautiful and ecologically rich, easternmost portion of the Western Ghats was infested with the terror of bandits like Veerappan.
Therefore, this place remained unexplored by tourists for quite some time. Away from the busy life and the traffic jams in Bengaluru, this is an amazing place to trek and relax. The wildlife sanctuary out there boasts of having the highest number of Asian Elephants and Tigers in South India.
- Distance from Bangalore – 174 km
- Tourist Attractions – Biligiri Ranganaswamy Temple, BRT Wildlife Sanctuary, Dodda Sampige Mara
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Rafting
This hill station located in the Salem District of Tamil Nadu is a great retreat. It is a sanctuary away from the stressful life of the city and is a great weekend getaway from Bangalore, more so, if you are looking at one in order to de-stress.
In the local language, Yercaud means the lake forest and it gets that name because of the Yercaud lake out there. It requires anywhere between 4 to 6 hours to get there by car.
- Distance from Bangalore – 216 km
- Tourist Attractions – Shevaroy Temple and hills, Kiliyur Falls, Yercaud Forest and lake, Pagoda Point
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Rafting, Boating
The Nandi Hills or The Nandidurga Hills is yet another favorite spot of adventure seekers and nature lovers. These misty hills are located in the Chikkaballapur district. That sure makes it a wonderful weekend getaway from Bangalore. It is strongly recommended that visitors book their stay in advance and avoid self-camping.
- Distance from Bangalore – 62 km
- Tourist Attractions – Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple, Amrita Sarovar, Bramhashram Caves, Muddenahalli Museum, Tipu’s Drop, Tipu’s Summer Palace, Nehru Nilaya
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Paragliding, Trekking, Hiking, Cycling
Trekking in Savandurga is exciting and quite adventurous because of the steep trails. The two most popular trails out there are Billigudda and Karigudda, the two hills of Savandurga. This is a great weekend getaway from Bangalore if you like rock climbing and trekking.
- Distance from Bangalore – 53 km
- Tourist Attractions – Biligudda, Karigudda, River Arkavati
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Rock Climbing, Trekking, Hiking
Bandipur Wildlife Sanctuary
It takes about four hours to reach this weekend getaway from Bangalore by road. We strongly recommend that you either drive there from Bengaluru or from Mysuru, the nearest railway station. That’s because there is every possibility that you could spot elephants, peacocks or deer while getting there.
- Distance from Bangalore – 225 km
- Tourist Attractions – Bandipur National Park
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Jungle Safari, Trekking, Hiking, Rafting, Boating
The Kabini river is, in fact, one of the tributaries of the River Kaveri. That along with the jungles surrounding it makes it ideal for safaris, bird watching, kayaking, and other water sports. There are a number of resorts in this region that offer some or all of these activities.
However, it takes between 4 to 5 hours to reach this weekend getaway from Bangalore. Kabini is a calm and quiet weekend getaway from Bangalore for those who wish to rejuvenate themselves.
- Distance from Bangalore – 217 km
- Tourist Attractions – Kabini Dam, Nagarhole National Park,
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Jungle safari, Elephant Safari, Trekking, Hiking, Rafting, Boating
This place is great if you are looking for a weekend getaway from Bengaluru that isn’t too far. That’s because Srirangapatna is just a two-hour drive from Bengaluru. This place is filled with places to see such as the Ranganathaswamy temple, Nimishamba temple, Ranganathittu bird sanctuary, Dariya Daulat Palace, Sangam and much more.
- Distance from Bangalore – 131 km
- Tourist Attractions – Ranganathaswamy temple, Nimishamba temple, Ranganathittu bird sanctuary, Dariya Daulat Palace, Sangam
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Boating, Birdwatching, Places of historic interest
To help you cope up with the stresses that come when you live in Bengaluru, we have listed down some great weekend getaways near Bangalore that you can comfortably visit over a weekend. We totally understand that this is something that must interest you.
Therefore, we’ve listed down weekend getaways near Bangalore that would interest a majority of the readers, whether they are laid back or hyperactive. We understand that finally, you need to get back to your monotonous jobs and get back to your run of the mill routine on Monday.