Popularly known as the Cyber City, Hyderabad is a host to several multinationals. So if you are a part of one such conglomerate, then you’d agree with the fact that life does get mechanical out there.
However, there are quite a few places to visit near Hyderabad that can break the monotony. So if you have not already started looking out for weekend getaways from Hyderabad then here’s a list of some of the best places around Hyderabad that you can explore.
Warangal used to be the capital of the Kakatiya dynasty. The Thousand Pillar Temple out there is an architectural wonder that’s visited by Photographers and Architects from around the world. There are several other prominent temples over there such as the Bhadrakali Temple, Ramappa Temple, Padmakshi Temple, and several others.
You can also spend some time in the Pakhal Wildlife sanctuary and wait for some deer or elephants pass by. However, if you didn’t get lucky out there and have upset kids wanting to see at least some animals, then try the Mini Zoo in Warangal. If you like to snack on something by a lake, then you have many options like the Pakhal lake, Ramappa Lake and Bhadrakali lake out there.
- Distance from Hyderabad – 145 km
- Tourist Attractions – Thousand Pillar Temple, Pakhal Wildlife Sanctuary, Mini Zoo, Kakatiya Rock Garden, Warangal Fort, Pakhal Lake
- Things to do – Sightseeing, trekking, hiking, boating, photography, places of historic interest
Situated in Karnataka, this place is quite famous for the Bidri work and also for sandalwood. The Narasimha Jhira Cave Temple out there attracts people from around the world.
One needs to walk through these water-filled caves to worship the deity and that is a thrill that can’t be missed. The aesthetic Bidar Fort has a lot in store such as The Rangeen Mahal, The Solah Khambah Mosque and the Tarkash Mahal that make it one of the best places to visit around Hyderabad.
- Distance from Hyderabad – 145 km
- Tourist Attractions – Narasimha Jhira Temple, Bidar Fort, Deva Deva Vana Botanical Park, Chaubara Clock Tower
- Things to do – Sightseeing, exploring caves, trekking, photography, places of historic interest
A 3km trek with a breathtaking view makes the Koulas Fort one of the places to visit near Hyderabad. Once you are done with the trek, you can head off to the Koulas Dam for lunch.
This spot is definitely one of the best places to visit around Hyderabad during winter. Above all, it takes about 4-5 hours to get there by car and this short distance makes it one of the best weekend getaways from Hyderabad.
- Distance from Hyderabad – 169 km
- Tourist Attractions – Koulas Fort, Koulas Dam
- Things to do – Trek, Bird-watching, places of historic interest
If you like to visit forts then this is one weekend getaway from Hyderabad that you can’t miss. This place is an absolute retreat from the ho-hum corporate routine. The fact that the Ghanpur Fort was built by the intersection of two hills makes it one of the most interesting places to visit near Hyderabad.
The Wanaparthy District Administration along with Tourism and Forest departments offer great weekend packages for tourists. They facilitate camping, trekking, rock-climbing and barbecues, and that sure makes this one of the best places to visit around Hyderabad for any Adventurer.
- Distance from Hyderabad – 118 km
- Tourist Attractions – Ghanpur Fort, two ponds inside the fort
- Things to do – Trekking, Hiking, Rock climbing, Camping, Swimming
Nagarjuna Sagar Dam
This is one of the most visited tourist places near Hyderabad, mostly frequented during the monsoon. So while heading there, you can also visit the Nagarjuna Wildlife Sanctuary, Ethiopothala Falls and Nagarjunakonda Museum.
However, make sure to book your stay in advance as this is one of the most popular places to visit near Hyderabad. Also, make sure to know the approximate distance between the Nagarjuna Sagar dam and your place of stay.
- Distance from Hyderabad – 153 km
- Tourist Attractions – Nagarjuna Sagar Dam, Nagarjuna Wildlife Sanctuary, Ethiopothala Falls and Nagarjunakonda Museum
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Boating
With River Krishna and River Tungabhadra flowing through Mahbubnagar, this place is quite rich in natural resources. So it is not hard to believe that the Kohinoor diamond was found from the diamond mines of Mahabubnagar.
Now that sure makes it one of the most interesting weekend getaways from Hyderabad. However, the breathtaking Jurala dam situated in Mahbubnagar is one of the best tourist places near Hyderabad.
- Distance from Hyderabad – 111 km
- Tourist Attractions – Jogulamba Temple, Sri Ranganayaka Swamy Temple, Jurala Dam, Koil Sagar Dam, Rajolibanda Dam, Bada Talaab, Murugavaani National Park
- Things to do – Sight-seeing, camping, trekking
The spectacular Naganur Fort and Temples built by the Kakatiyas showcases the grandeur of the once most powerful dynasty. Built over the tributary of River Godavari, the Manair Dam has twenty gates. Also, it is one of the best places to visit around Hyderabad during the monsoon season.
- Distance from Hyderabad – 164 km
- Tourist Attractions –Naganur Fort and Temples, Lower Manair Dam
- Things to do –Hiking, Trekking, Sightseeing
Kurnool has always been one of the most popular weekend getaways from Hyderabad for the Mallikarjun Jyothirlinga, the underground long Bellum caves, majestic Konda Reddy Fort, interesting Orvacal Rock Garden, the miraculously sweet waters of Phaladhara-Panchadhara waterfalls, and much more.
- Distance from Hyderabad – 219 km
- Tourist Attractions – Mallikarjun Jyothirlinga Temple, Phaladhara-Panchadhaara waterfalls, Bellum Caves, Konda Reddy Fort, Sangameshwaram, Orvacal Rock Garden
- Things to do –Trekking, Hiking, Rock climbing, Places of historic interest
Sharing its border with the State of Chattisgarh, this is one of the best weekend getaways from Hyderabad. The fact that this region covers up a large portion of the prominent Dandaka forest region makes it one of the best places to visit around Hyderabad.
- Distance from Hyderabad – 198 km
- Tourist Attractions –Sri SitaRamachandraswamy Temple, Swamy Ayyappa Temple, Khammam Fort, Palair Reservoir, Kinnerasani Wildlife Sanctuary
- Things to do – Trekking, Hiking, Places of historic interest, Sightseeing
The Gulbarga Fort and The Haft Gumbaz Tomb are standing examples of the aesthetic Bahamani-style architecture. There are also several other places of religious interest such as the Dattatreya Temple, Sharana Basaveshwara Temple, Buddh Vihar and Jami Masjid that make Gulbarga one of the most visited tourist places near Hyderabad.
You cannot miss feasting your eyes on the Chandrapalli dam. It is a great place to trek, but slightly secluded, so remember to go in big groups and also to carry your food with you.
- Distance from Hyderabad – 232 km
- Tourist Attractions – Gulbarga Fort, Chandrampalli Dam, Dattatreya Temple, Jami Masjid, Sharana Basaveshwara Temple, Buddh Vihar
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Places of historic interest
For the most part, the weekend getaways from Hyderabad showcase some level of historic significance. Also, the monuments portray the Kakatiya-style architecture. Although these places are well-connected by buses and trains, you can also hire a self-drive car.
The best part is that most of these places are budget-friendly. However, always check for the current climate as certain regions of Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and North Karnataka mentioned here can get extremely hot.