Gone are the days when Pune used to be the Lotus-eaters’ Paradise or a city with little hustle bustle. Currently, Pune is a hub of premier educational institutions and multinationals, so that explains why it’s so crammed-up with traffic.
Now that is definitely a reason to plan weekend getaways near Pune. Also, there are amazing places to visit near Pune, and if you are not quite aware of them, some of the best weekend getaways from Pune are as shown below.
Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary
Situated in the district of Satara, the Koyna wildlife sanctuary is not very far away from Pune. It is one of the most ideal weekend getaways from Pune because of its close proximity to Satara district and also the amazing highway.
Depending on your budget, you can choose to stay at Lakeside Resorts or Forest Guesthouses. Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary was set up by the government in the year 1985, and in the year 2012, it was recognized as a World Heritage site. This sanctuary boasts of species like the Bengal Tigers, Leopards, Indian Bison, and cobras.
- Distance from Pune – 182 km
- Tourist Attractions – Sahyadri Tiger Reserve, Chandoli Park, River Koyna, River Kandati, River Solashi
- Things to do – Nature, and Wildlife Trekking, Hiking, Camping
This hill station in the Sahyadri region is named after the famous Mahabaleshwar Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. Enveloped in nature’s beauty, Mahabaleshwar has popular spots like China’s falls, Dhobi waterfalls, Venna lake, and some breathtaking viewpoints like Arthur’s point and Wilson point.
Mahabaleshwar comes under the Satara district and is a commercially developed hill station. Also, while trekking through these captivating hills, you can relish the fresh fruits out there, and that is a treat in itself.
- Distance from Pune – 121 km
- Tourist Attractions – China’s falls, Dhobi waterfalls, Venna lake, Arthur’s point, Wilson point, Panchgani
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Hiking, Photography, Boating
Lavasa’s mesmerizing architecture and the wide range of adventure sports continues to pull crowds. With its Portofino-like depiction and Italian architecture, there is so much to explore that a weekend may not seem enough despite saving time on travel.
Also, you could choose from a wide range of adventure sports like jet skiing, rappelling, trekking, camping, rock climbing, or simply take a cruise. All of that makes it one of best weekend getaways near Pune.
- Distance from Pune – 57.4 km
- Tourist Attractions – Warsagaon Lake, Varsagaon Dam
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Water Sports, Cruise, Trekking, Hiking, Camping
Diveagar is one of the villages that fall under the Raigad District lying by the seashore. So you can be sure of some delicious home-cooked seafood from the local home-based restaurants while on this weekend getaway.
This place continues to gain popularity and is one of the best weekend getaways from Pune. That’s mainly because this is one of the few places around Pune that is not-so-commercialized. Therefore, it is budget-friendly even during the peak seasons. You can also visit Murud-Janjira which is about 14 km from Diveagar.
- Distance from Pune – 159.1 km
- Tourist Attractions – Suvarna Ganesh Mandir, Diveagar Beach, Velas Beach, Harihareshwar Beach, Kondivili Beach, Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary, Murud-Janjira
- Things to do – Beach-hopping, Sightseeing, Boating, Places of historic interest
Set in the Sahyadri range, Matheran is one of the best places around Pune for a short visit. That’s mainly because it is not very far and can be reached by road within a span of 3 hours.
However, to curb pollution, you are not allowed to take your vehicles to Matheran. Therefore, you’d have to leave your vehicles near Dasturi Naka and cross 3 kilometers to get to main Matheran. Horses available at Dasturi Naka do a great job of transporting people and luggage across these 3 kilometers.
The other way to get there is by boarding Phulrani, the toy train from Neral to Matheran. Although it sounds exciting, it may not be suitable for those who suffer from nausea on the ghats.
While at Matheran, there are several places to explore such as Ambarnath temple, Prabal fort, Echo Point, Charlotte lake and many more. One can leisurely delve into the beauty of these tourist spots while sipping on the lemonade or relishing the chocolate fudge that is available in plenty out there.
- Distance from Pune – 125 km
- Tourist Attractions – Ambarnath Temple, Charlotte Lake, Echo Point, Panorama Point, Sunset Point, Rambagh Point
- Things to do – Horseriding, Trekking, Hiking, Sightseeing, Places of historic interest, Photography
Pawna Lake, Kamshet and Lohagad
It is impossible to ignore Pawna lake if you are looking for a weekend getaway from Pune for camping, often tagged up with Kamshet and Lohagad Fort, which are located within 20 km radius.
So if paragliding during the day and a bonfire by the serene Pawna lake during the night sounds good, then you’d find this to be one of the most satisfying weekend getaways near Pune.
- Distance from Pune – 56 km
- Tourist Attractions – Pawna River, Kamshet, Lohagad Fort
- Things to do – Paragliding, Camping, Trekking, Water Sports
Located in Maval Taluka, the Bedse caves are a sight to behold and one of the best weekend getaways from Pune. Tourists mostly visit the Chaitya or the prayer hall portion of these caves. These are the lesser known Buddhist excavations as compared to Kalra and Bhaja, but definitely one of the best places to visit near Pune over a weekend.
- Distance from Pune – 59 km
- Tourist Attractions – Vihara and Chaitya
- Things to do – Trekking, Hiking, Meditation, Paragliding, Adventure sports
Situated across the Mumbai-Goa Highway, this weekend getaway from Pune based in Ratnagiri is a 5-hour drive. Now that’s just one reason that makes Chiplun one of the best weekend getaways from Pune. Others are the mesmerizing Sawtsada falls and the magnificent Gowalkot Fort located on the Gowalkot island.
- Distance from Pune – 234 km via AH47
- Tourist Attractions – Parshuram Temple, Sawatsada falls, Gowalkot Fort, Vashisti River, Walavalkar Shivaji Museum
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Places of historic interest
This enticing beach rich with pure white sand and clear waters is one of the most relaxing weekend getaways from Pune. Besides delectable seafood, one can also indulge in watersports, parasailing, camping and much more. This is one place around Pune that one must avoid during the monsoon as the waters can then overflow.
- Distance from Pune – 174 km
- Tourist Attractions – Kashid Beach, Korlai Fort, Phansad Bird Sanctuary, Mahua Bagh, Nandgaon Beach
- Things to do – Beach hopping, Parasailing, Camping, Trekking, Places of historic interest
For many reasons, Aurangabad is one of the best weekend getaways from Pune, but the chart-topper is the classic Ellora caves. You can also visit the dense and exciting Aurangabad caves out there.
However, the most prominent place is the Grineshwar Jyothirlinga Temple in Aurangabad. Also, you can see architectural wonders like Chini Mahal, Bibi ka Maqbara often dubbed as ‘Mini Taj Mahal’ and the Tomb of Aurangzeb.
- Distance from Pune – 235.1 km by road
- Tourist Attractions – Chini Mahal, Jayakwadi Dam, Bibi ka Maqbara, Tomb of Aurangzeb, Chatrapati Shivaji Museum, Valley of Sufi Saints, Goga Baba Hill, Nizamshahi Mahal
- Things to do – Sightseeing, Trekking, Exploring, Places of historic interest
Finally, it doesn’t matter whether you are in Pune for education or work, because everyone needs a break. So while you read through the places around Pune, we’d like to suggest that you consider driving there. That because whether you plan to travel with your family or friends, driving together is a sure way to bond.